New year’s resolution #1: eat more lentils!
Gosh darn it, they are just so good!
Lentils are the perfect addition to your dinner party table — not only are they packed with protein, they easily absorb flavors from other foods and seasonings and can be purchased at all times of the year.
When my sister-in-law needed a salad to go with her New Year’s Eve day spread, I thought this cumin-scented lentil salad would be the perfect complement to her tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
This salad is equally yummy served alone or on a bed of fresh greens, and equally appropriate for casual get-togethers or elegant soirees!
Cumin-Scented Lentil Salad
Recipe adapted from Jennifer Segal, SeriousEats
- 1 16-oz bag (about 3 cups) brown lentils
- 3 large carrots,Β Β finely diced
- 9 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover the lentils and carrots)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 ribs celery,Β finely diced
- 1 Β½ cups finelyΒ diced red onions
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoonsΒ chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves,Β finely minced
- ΒΎ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Β½ teaspoonΒ freshly ground black pepper
- 9 tablespoonsΒ freshly squeezed lemon juice, about three large lemons
- 1/4 cup + 1Β tablespoon good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoonΒ agave nectar or honey
- For serving: mixed greens (optional)
Combine lentils, carrots, chicken broth and bay leaves in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer until lentils and carrots are just tender, about 20-25 minutes. Strain and remove bay leaves.
In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Add lentils and carrots and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking as necessary. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve alone or on a bed of fresh greens.