It is has been so hot lately it’s almost cruel to be cooking.
So if you’re having people over and want to make something quick and easy, this recipe (adapted from Cooking Light) is a great one to try.
Since pork chops cook up pretty quickly, it only requires a few minutes of your time over the hot grill.
The flavors of the jerk rub are in-cred-ible, and really make you feel like you’re dining on a tropical island.
Served with a fresh summery mango salsa, and perhaps some supporting veggies like asparagus, green beans, or a mixed green salad, and you’ve got yourself a delicious and impressive summer meal right there. Moving quickly, I had the pork and salsa alone on the table within 20 minutes.
Pork Chops with Caribbean Rub and Mango Salsa
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, October 2011
Time: Approx. 20 minutes
- 1 Β½ tsp.Β ground cumin
- ΒΎ tsp.Β ground ginger
- Β½ tsp.Β sea salt
- ΒΌ tsp.Β ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp.Β ground cayenne pepper (or omit if serving small children)
- 4Β (6-oz.) bone-in center-cut pork chops (about Β½-in.-thick)
- Cooking fat of choice, such as olive oil, coconut oil, butter, or lard
- 1 large ripe mango,Β peeled and diced (for tips on dicing a mango, see this video here)
- 1 c. organic grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Β½ c. cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped (about 3 Tbsp. chopped)
- 1 Tbsp.Β fresh lemon juice (or substitute red wine vinegar)
- 2 tsp. good-qualityΒ extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground sea salt and pepper, for garnish
- Combine cumin, ginger, sea salt, allspice, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle pork chops all over with spice mixture.
- Combine mango, tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice, and olive oil in a medium bowl; toss gently.
- Heat a grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat and grease with cooking fat of choice. Add pork; grill 3 minutes on each side (or longer for thicker pork chops) or until an instant-read thermometer registers 145Β° and pork is slightly pink in the middle.
- Serve salsa with pork. Garnish with fresh ground salt and pepper, if desired.