Growing up in Los Angeles, my mom always served guacamole as an appetizer at our dinner parties, no matter what the theme or fanciness of the affair.
Prom? Christmas Eve dinner?
Yup, we’ve got guac up in here.
This guac is really knock-your-socks-off good. And even better, it is so simple.
The key here lies in the prepping of the ingredients.
I know it is soooo tempting to pulverize the avocados, but you MUST refrain! You’ll be so glad that you left them chunky in the end.
Another tip is to squeeze out the juice and the seeds of the tomatoes under cold running water in the sink, leaving the meaty part of the tomato to slice and dice — this step is key to ensure thatΒ the final product isn’t wet and mushy.
Give it a whirl as an appetizer for your next dinner party or office/school potluck, or as a special side dish for enchiladas or tacos.
-Peaches & Cake
Makes 1 medium bowl of guacamole. Double the recipe for a large crowd.
Guacamole is best served the day it is made.
- 5 Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β medium-large ripe avocados
- 3Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β small tomatoes, diced
- ΒΌ Β Β Β Β Β Β cup diced red onion
- 2 Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β lemons, juiced
- 1Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 ΒΌΒ Β Β Β teaspoon garlic powder
- 1Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ΒΌ Β Β Β teaspoons fresh ground pepper, plus more to taste
- For serving: tortilla chips, carrot sticks, celery sticks, and/or jicama chips, or serve as an item in a taco bar spread
Slice off top of tomatoes. Squeeze out seeds and juice under cold running water in the sink, leaving the meaty party intact. Dice into evenly-sized cubes with a tomato knife or small bread knife. Set aside.
Juice the lemons, dice the onion, and chop the cilantro. Set aside.
Cut avocados in half. Remove bulb by hooking with the blade of a sharp knife and then twisting out. Scoop out pulp with a spoon and transfer to a bowl. Gently mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Do not pulverize the avocados β€“ leave them chunky.
Add all the ingredients together, adding the lemon juice in increments as necessary, and gently mix. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Keep covered tightly with plastic wrap in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serve with tortilla chips, carrot sticks, celery sticks, and/or jicama chips, or serve as an item in a taco bar spread.