One of the lessons I’ve learned from entertaining is that people LOVE finger food.
Take these baked sweet potato fries for example, which were created from two humble taters. If left in the baked potato form (which I love) or even in wedge form, they might be forgotten and left to the side at the table. But the second they turn into something you can pick up with your fingers, people go nuts for them!
So whenever I’m at a loss for what to make for a side dish and I have sweet potatoes lying around, I rely on these baked sweet potato fries to do the trick.Β They’re a little sweet and a little savory, and the perfect complement to barbeque chicken.
Sweet and Sassy Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled, if desired. I didnβ€™t peel mine to save time.)
- 1 egg white
- Β½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Β½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of chili powder
- Butter or coconut oil and parchment paper
- For dipping: organic ketchup or barbeque sauce or sauce of your choice!
- Preheat the oven to 450ΛF.
- Cut potatoes into strips with even thickness. Soak in a bowl of cold water for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes to allow some starch to be removed and to help the potatoes to have a crispy texture. Drain and pat completely dry.
- Meanwhile, grease 2 baking sheets with butter or coconut oil, line with parchment paper, and then grease again. (The first greasing will help the paper stick to the pan.)
- In a large bowl, add egg white and beat until slightly foamy. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Combine the spices and toss with the potatoes. Spread potato slices onto baking sheets and make sure they are not crowded.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Take out and flip the fries over and return to oven for another 15 minutes or until cooked through. The thinner the fry, the shorter the time, so keep an eye on them. Reduce heat to 350ΛF and let the fries cook for another 20 minutes. Occasionally vent the oven to allow the steam to escape which will help crisp up the fries.
- Remove from oven and season with additional salt, to taste. Enjoy with organic ketchup and/or barbeque sauce.Β These are great as a snack or as a side with barbeque chicken or ribs.